FOLLOWING its successful inaugural outing in 2016, the much-lauded Irish landscape photography festival, IrishLight, returns in 2017 with another rich programme of events taking place throughout Ireland from September 21st – October 18th.
This unique event will bring together celebrated Irish and International landscape photographers to mentor and inspire photography enthusiasts from Ireland and overseas, against the magnificent backdrop of the Irish landscape. The festival provides a platform for bespoke participatory events, exhibitions and education. The theme of this year’s festival is ‘An t-Oileán’, the Irish for island. The theme invites participants to celebrate the distinct rugged beauty of Ireland and its islands.
IrishLight 2017 will present seven simultaneous Master Workshops taking place across seven Irish Islands. Each workshop will be led by an outstanding Irish photographer. Attendees will capture the extraordinary island vistas to create a unique body of work. Workshop locations will be the Cape Clear and the Sherkin Islands, Bere Island, Inis Turk, Clare Island, Inis Mor, Blasket Islands, and Tory Island.
This year’s exciting programme also includes:
- The Irish Masters’ Exhibition. The Masters’ Exhibition will see Ireland’s best landscape photographers present a new body of work created around this year’s theme, ‘An t-Oileán’.
- The IrishLight Collection 2016 Book and Exhibition Launch – In Aid of Samaritans. An exhibition and book launch of the IrishLight Collection 2016 which centered on the theme ‘Atlantic Reach’. These works were captured on the coasts of Donegal, Connemara, Clare, Kerry and West Cork. All proceeds generated by book and print sales will be donated to Samaritans.
- The Big Day. A full day of sweet inspiration featuring talks from industry leaders including, Charlie Waite, Sandra Bartocha and many more with presentations from Lee Filters, Conns Camera and Nikon. The Big Day will take place in the Royal Marine, Dun Laoghaire.
- Free Talks. Seminars from expert photographers on all things Irish Landscape taking place throughout Dublin.
- The IrishLight Open Call Competition. A Nikon, ExploreLight and Lee Filters sponsored competition to find the best amateur images of the Irish landscape. Over €4000 worth of prizes including a Nikon d750 camera worth €2,999.
Speaking about the launch of IrishLight 2017, its founder, eminent landscape photographer, Peter Gordon said, “IrishLight is truly a one of a kind event. The Irish landscape is one of the most beautiful and inspirational in the world, referenced and romanticized in literature, poetry and song.
“After such a glowing reaction to the festival last year we knew the demand was there to run it again and develop it further. This year we will bring some of the most revered photographers together and scatter them across Ireland’s exquisite islands allowing participants to learn from real masters of photography. In IrishLight, Ireland has an event of truly international standards dedicated to landscape photography.”