EFFORTS to progress the flood scheme for Bandon town have moved forward with confirmation that the legal challenge to the tendering process has been resolved and tenders for the scheme will issue in the next two to three weeks. Speaking from his Constituency Office in Bandon, local Fine Gael TD Jim Daly confirmed that he has been informed by his colleague Minister Simon Harris that the tenders for the Bandon
MORE action is needed from Cork County Council to ensure landowners meet their responsibilities for hedge and verge cutting on public roads. That was the message from the recent meeting of councillors from the West Cork Municipal District in Dunmanway.
INDEPENDENT councillor Michael Collins walked out from the recent West Cork Municipal District meeting in Dunmanway’s Methodist Hall in protest at cuts to civic amenity site opening times. Cllr Collins said that recent reduced hours brought in at the Derryconnell (Mizen) and Castletownbere recycling sites were a major inconvenience for local people and said that local councillors had not been consulted in any way about the move.
FINE Gael TD for Cork South West, has urged people in West Cork to avail of the SEAI Better Energy Homes grant. The scheme provides financial assistance to homeowners to improve the comfort levels within their home while reducing energy use, costs and greenhouse gas emissions.
AN emergency motion calling on Irish Water to proceed with the main drainage in Bandon was passed by Cork County Council at its recent meeting. The motion was introduced by Bandon-based Sinn Féin Cllr Rachel McCarthy following news last week that after a cost benefit analysis Irish Water had decided not to implement the main drainage scheme as envisaged and wanted it to be redesigned. The scheme has been plagued
by Cathal O’Donovan “WE are edging ever closer to construction and to work on the ground ” was the verdict from Skibbereen Floods Committee after their meeting at Leinster House last week with Simon Harris TD, Minister of State with special responsibility for the OPW and Public Procurement.
NEWS that there will be further delays to the sewerage works and flood works in Bandon was given to councillors last Monday at the Western Division meeting of Cork County Council. The transfer of assets from the council to Irish Water was accompanied with confirmation that Irish Water were seeking to redesign the sewerage scheme to make it more cost effective.
Chair of the Oireachtas Environment Committee, West Cork Labour TD Michael McCarthy, has welcomed the publication of the Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Bill 2015. “This legislation means that Ireland will be one of only a handful of countries in Europe that have legislated and committed ourselves to meeting our EU 2020 carbon emission targets in law. Crucially, this Bill will ensure that Ireland’s EU targets become our national
FOLLOWING a meeting with Minister of State at the Department of Finance, Simon Harris and officials from the Office of Public Works (OPW) and the Skibbereen Flood Relief Committee re-assurances were given that the Skibbereen Flood Relief Scheme is being advanced. The next step is the despatch of the tender documents and approval from the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, which is expected in mid February. It is further
PROPOSALS to reduce opening times at two recycling “transfer stations” operated by Cork County Council have been met with opposition from local people. The plans to reduce the opening times at the stations at Castletownbere and Derryconnell between Schull and Ballydehob by more than 50% to two days-a-week plus Saturday mornings have been described as “potentially damaging” to communities across the Mizen and Beara peninsulas.