Top flight football returns to the Cross this year.

Cork City 3 Dundalk 2

Limerick 1 Cork City 0


FIRST of all Friday night, a game played under torrential rain, but the pitch held together very well.

The game started frantically with Cork City getting the opener after just three minutes with a volley by Davin O’Neill.

Dundalk bounced back just a few minutes later with Mark McNulty fumbling the slippery ball through his gloves and crossing the line and on the 11th minute a Dundalk striker got behind the City defence and slotted the ball around the onrushing Mark McNulty and into the net to give Dundalk the lead.

Then on the 16th minute Davin O’Neill got a equalizer.

At this rate I thought it was going to be 9-9 at full time but things calmed down a bit.

It was well into the second half when Vinny Sullivan got the winner for Cork to make it 3-2 and the game fizzled out after that.

This win meant Cork City had climbed up too 7th spot.

Then on Bank Holiday Monday City travelled to Limerick to face Limerick in the 90th  Munster Senior Cup final at Jackman Park.

Cork played a team compromising mostly of  players from the double-winning U19 team with a few first team fringe players such as Cathal Lordon, Ian Turner,  Gavin Kavanagh, Jason Forde and Stephen Kenny.

Limerick fielded a very strong side including former Irish International Joe Gamble, Irish U23 striker Denis Behan, former St. Pats player Shane Guthrie, former Galway United player Shane Tracey, former Cork City player Derek O’Brien and former Cork City and Notts County Defender Brian O’Callaghan.

Limerick did have most of the possession for the game and a few more chances than City but it wasn’t until the 92nd min that Limerick got the winner to Give Limerick FC their third Munster Senior Cup title.

Next up for the Rebel Army is a very strong St. Patrick Athletic up in Inchicore.

You can check out star sports on Star FM West Cork HERE and the West Cork Commandos HERE for further updates on all things Cork City related.