Great progress with facilities


Over the last two months a lot of work has been done at our home ground in Kealkill. We now have four fully fitted out dressing rooms, Toilets and a meeting/ coffee tea room for the parents.

We also have running water and hope to have electricity connected shortly.

All this work has been done on a voluntary basis by parents and committee members. A special thanks goes out to Eddy O’Leary, Mark Gaffney, John Doyle, Steve Roffe who spend a lot of time there.

The season is up and running and all Rovers teams have been in action over the last few weeks.



Rovers U12 team


Last season’s U12 League and Cup winners started the season when they competed in the Gleneagle Cup hosted by Mastergeeha FC in Killarney.

The tournament was run over two days and the team enjoyed their overnight stay in a local hotel and the very well organised tournament.

On the first day the team played their three group games.

Rovers drew the first game 2-2 with Coachford.

In their second game they proved too strong for Killarney Athletic winning 5-0 and they beat Inter Kenmare 2-1 to top the group.

Rtan O’Sullivan scored seven goals in the three group games with Timothy O’Driscoll and Darragh McElhinny netting one each.


On the second day Rovers played St Brendans Park of Tralee in the semi final and two more Ryan O’Sullivan goals gave Rovers a 2-0 win.

In the final Rovers faced a very strong Herberts Town team from Limerick.

Despite being under pressure for most of the first half Rovers defended excellently with James Crowley in great form in goal.

Rovers actually had the two best opportunities of the half and had a penalty saved. Late in the second half Darragh McElhinny scored a late equaliser to leave the score at 1-1.

There was no extra time played and the game went to a penalty shoot out.

Both teams scored their first five penalties and in the sudden death shootout Herbertstown scored their sixth while Rovers penalty was saved to leave Herbertstown deserving winners of the Gleneagle Cup.


This was a great experience for the Rovers players and they all performed and behaved very well and enhanced the reputation of the Club and the West Cork League.

In the first league games of the season Rovers U12 team lost 4-2 to Ardfield with Shane Crowley and Ayrton Doyle scoring.

Last week they lost to a strng College Corianthians side in the National Cup.



Rovers U14 team


The U14 team drew 1-1 with Bunratty in their first league game with Shane McSweeney scoring late in the game.

Last Sunday afternoon Bay Rovers U14 travelled to Macroom to play the locals in the first round of the National Cup and came away with a comfortable 7-0 victory.

Rovers started brightly and could have taken the lead twice in the first five minutes. Eoghan Minehane finally gave Rovers the lead on 10min after a neat through ball from Timothy O’Driscoll.

Shane McSweeney doubled Rovers lead within minutes after being set up by Eric Dowling.


Eoghan Minehane put Rovers further ahead midway through the first half after an accurate cross from Kuba Ratajczak found him in front of goal.

Shane McSweeney netted number four after the best move of the game involving David O’Sullivan, Billy Foley and Eoghan Minehane.


Eoghan completed his hat-trick and put Rovers 5-0 up just before half time when he raced onto a long through ball from Shane Murray.

Kuba Ratajczak made it 6-0 when he showed neat skill in the box and finished well. Late in the game Sean Downey got Rovers seventh when he raced clear of the Macroom defence and beat the keeper.


This a very exciting and commanding performance by the whole team.

Team: James Crowley, Shane Murray, Thomas Flynn, Kevin Coakley, Eric Dowling, Timothy O’Driscoll, Billy Foley, David O’Sullivan, Eoghan Minehane, Kuba Ratajczak, Shane McSweeney, Sean Downey, Liam Coakley, and Shane Buckley.

On Saturday Rovers U14 reserves lost 5-0 to Dunmanway.



Rovers U16 team


Rovers U16 team also drew with Bunratty where Aaron Barry scored for Rovers. In their second game they lost 4-0 away to Skibbereen.



Rovers Junior team


Rovers junior team played their first match of the season on Sunday the 9th when they were away to Ardfield.

This game counted both as a league match and West Cork League Cup round 1. Rovers playing their first game started well and put the game up to Ardfield.

Rovers took a deserved lead in the 21st minute when a Paul Drummey free from 30 yards out floated into the top corner.

In the 30th minute Rovers were down to 10 men as one of the defenders was sent off. In the second half Ardfield pushed Rovers back into their own half.

They created chances but couldn’t get past the last four and when they did John Connolly in goal dealt well with everything that came his way.

Final score was 1-0 to Rovers. In their second game Rovers lost 3-0 to a strong Ballydehob side.

On Sunday, September 23rd they played Togher away.

Rovers started well and the game was very even until the referee awarded a dubious penalty and send a Rovers player off.

Despite playing with only ten men Rovers did create chances but it was Togher who scored a second after a quick break.

Donal Casey playing his first game in goal for Rovers played really well as did Michael Casey.

Last Sunday they played their first home game in Ballycomane park and were unlucky to lose 2-1.

A much changed team played well.

Two mistakes left Rovers trailing 2-0 after 65 minutes.

Rovers were awarded a penalty in the 75th minute when they put Sullane under pressure.

Paul Drummey scored from the spot to make it 2-1.

Despite chances by both teams the final score was 2-1 to the visitors.

All fixtures and results can be found on the club website at