LAST weekend proved a successful one for the U14 and U16 football teams in their respective championships with both sides recording wins.


Bantry Blues 3-09, Blarney 1-07


On Friday evening Blarney travelled to Wolfe Tone Park to take on the Blues in U16 championship. The visitors hit the first point but Bantry showed their dominance on the scoreboard with 2-04 without reply, the goals coming from corner forward Darren Cronin. Blarney knocked over two points before half time to leave the score Bantry Blues 2-04, Blarney 0-03.

From the restart Blarney pulled back another point but Tim Foley converted a free to cancel it out. Centre forward Mark Keohane shot a fine goal and Blues looked like they were on their way.

However Blarney pulled back 1-02 to reduce the gap to four points. Blues got back into their stride with two points from Mark Keohane and one from Shane McCarthy. Blarney did kick another point before the end but the last score of the game from substitute Arthur Coakley left the final score Bantry Blues 3-09, Blarney 1-07.

This was a workmanlike performance from Bantry and they will face stiffer opposition in this competition than the Blarney lads.

Team: Michael Casey, Owen O’Flynn, Eoin Lynch, Phillip Dowling, Killian O’Sullivan, Tim Cronin, Paddy O’Shea, Seán O’Leary, Tim Foley (0-2,F’s), Shane Keevers, Mark Keohane (1-3), Brian Murphy, Darren Cronin (2-0), Daniel Murphy (0-1), Shane McCarthy (0-2). Subs used: Anthony Hanley, Arthur Coakley (0-1), Kieran Hanley, Stephen Hanley.


Bantry Blues 5-08, Ahan Gaels 4-03


On Saturday the U14 footballers overcame Ahan Gaels in an exciting semi final in Drimoleague.

From the throw-in Ahan Gaels were on the offensive and it took a great save from goalie Barry O’Sullivan to deny them the dream start.

They continued to attack and went into a two point lead before corner forward James Lavin pulled one back for the Blues.

Daniel Murray equalised and converted a free to put his team into the lead. James Lavin extended Bantry’s lead when he shot a goal but soon after Gaels pulled one back to leave just a point between the teams. Just before the half time whistle Patrick Casey hit Bantry’s second goal to put Blues ahead by 2-03 to 1-02.

Daniel Murray scored the first point of the second half and followed up with a goal. When Jack McCarthy tacked on a point Blues were looking good.

The sides exchanged points before Ahan Gaels hit back with a goal. Daniel Murray shot a point but Gaels goaled again to reduce the deficit to four points.

Bantry were finding it hard to close out the game but when Eoghan O’Shea took a pass from James Lavin and buried it in the net the margin was back to seven points. Ahan Gaels were not finished and came back with yet another goal but a Jack O’Neill point and a goal at the end of normal time from Daniel Murray sealed the win for Bantry.

The final score stood Bantry Blues 5-08, Ahan Gaels 4-03. Even though Blues finished eight points ahead the game was up for grabs throughout and Bantry will need to be more clinical in front of goal if they are to overcome Castlehaven in the West Cork final.

Team: Barry O’Sullivan, Robyn McCarthy, Gavin Cronin, Kevin Coakley, Shane McSweeney, Fionn O’Driscoll, Sean Thornton, Jack McCarthy (0-1), Ronan O’Mahony, Eoghan O’Shea (1-0), Daniel Murray (2-05,1F), Dylan Carthy, James Lavin (1-01), Patrick Casey (1-0), Jack O’Neill (0-1). Sub used: Eric Dowling. Subs: Russell Barry, Matthew Barry, Liam de la Cour.