RESIDENT’S in Bandon are fearful that the town’s long-delayed flood relief scheme works may have ground to a halt yet again as works machinery seems to have been removed from the town over the last few days.
Bandon suffered major flooding over the last number of years especially in 2009 and again in the winter of 2015.
Protests were held in the town in the hope money would be allocated for flood relief works. Initially work did start on a sewerage scheme but problems with the contractor then meant the works came to a halt four years ago.
Works in relation to the flood relief scheme started last year to the delight of townspeople, however work machinery has been removed over the last few days.
At a Cork County Council meeting on Monday local councillors were told there was an issue with the contract between the contractor and the Office of Public Works (OPW) and additional funding required for the project.
Minister of State Sean Canney who has responsibility for the OPW was said to be in ongoing negotiations with the OPW, Cork County Council and the contrators to try to resolve the issue.
Callers to C103 were worried that if works do not continue the town could yet again suffer further flooding.
Local councillors Alan Coleman and Gillian Coughlan contacted C103’s Cork Today show to highlight their worries
Listen Back to both councillors here:
In a statement the OPW said, “Both OPW and Wills Bros (contractor) are committed to the implementation of the Bandon flood relief scheme that was confirmed by the Minister. Planning and preparation for in river works to commence in May are ongoing.”
The OPW had no further comment when asked about why machinery which was working on the scheme was removed.
Many C103 Listeners are asking if nothing was wrong why machinery would be taken out of the town.